Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Character Study for thurs. Nov. 11.......Bowling and Dinner Friday Nov. 19

FRIDAY NOV. 19:   BOWLING AT KINGPIN 9525 TAYLORSVILLE RD   (719-5464) ....OUR GROUP RESERVATIONS ARE FOR 7:00-9:00PM.  WE CAN BOWL FOR 2 HOURS FOR ONLY $15 (PRICE INCLUDES SHOES).  THEN WE ARE HEADED TO STEAK-N-SHAKE NEAR STONEY BROOK THEATERS FOR INEXPENSIVE, GREAT FOOD AND FUN.  PLAN TO JOIN US.  RSVP TO THIS EMAIL PLEASE.  TELL A FRIEND!
 
 
______________________________
 
6:15-7:15pm  (new start time)....Singles Small Group Study
read pages 88-90   "Character Matters"  by Mark Rutland
 
Frugality and Arrogance:
Great question:  "Not only am I willing to live as I can afford to, but am I willing to live on less than I can afford?"...for the sake of self-discipline.
If I have a million dollars, can I afford to use one dollar to buy drugs to bring an emotional high or escape from reality?
 
Frugality and Repentance:
To see financial restitution as a proper use of money is unfamiliar to modern Westerners, but it was not alien to the ancient Jew.  Study Luke 19:1-10 the story of Zacchaeus.  Deliverance from Mammon came to him.
If I have cheated anyone, frugality demands that I pay it back.  If I owe anyone money, I will make it my goal to repay the debt.  If I have withheld my tithe, I must now give it and more, much more!  I MUST GIVE UNTIL I AM FREE!
 
The Place of Prosperity:
If I live a frugal life with a balance view of money, what about prosperity in my life?  discuss two extremes of teaching on this. 
Stranded in between these two extremes is the great body of people who are living day-to-day on the money that they can earn while trying to provide for their families and improve their lives.  John Wesley had a magnificent equation for this. 
1. He said to earn all you can.  Earn it righteously.  Earn it in a way that brings no shame to people and no shame to God.  Earn all you can.
2. Save all you can.
3. Give all you can.
 
Frugality saves to give.
Greed gives to get.
Frugality plots and plans, schemes and denies self, and sacrifices in order to give more next year than this year.
 
CHARACTER:  FREE TO BE FRUGAL
Rutland's summary:  "Frugality is the strength of character that will set us free from the terrible grip of mammon.  It may not be immorality that finally erodes our national character.  It may be the price of designer tennis shoes.  The prosperity of God is a great blessing, a dangerous one, but a great one.  If greatly used, prosperity can do much good.  Hoarded or squandered, it corrupts character and destroys families."
Remember Oseola McCarty's philosophy:  "Work hard, serve folks joyfully, save frugally and give generously."
 
NEXT WEEK:   Honesty:  Character and Truth
 
Hope to see you soon,
Becky    
  

No comments: